Welcome to Mastery in the New World of Work

Our aim is to Rebuild America's intellectual and human capital. The latest brain research supports accelerated learning techniques. Our clients are corporations, not-for profit organizations and individuals both employed and out-of-work. 'Mind Chi' helps you rewire your brain in 8 minutes a day and offers 50 strategies for business success. We provide Coaching for Career and Life transitions. We Coach Boards, Teams, Managers and Executives and run innovation workshops. We help you achieve Well Being & Work-Life Balance.

Apart from our own news, it is our aim to gather the latest information to help you and I become Expert, Succesful and Fulfilled and to share this with others. Enjoy the journey.

Clive Digby-Jones
President
Retraining America Now, LLC

www.retrainingamericanow.com


Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Rise of Women In Business




One of the Interesting trends in the Workplace is the role of women in leadership and that the employment of women is rising faster than men. - Clive Digby-Jones. President, Retraining America Now, LLC

Trend - There will be an 8% increase of women in the US workforce, over 10 years, compared to 5% men. Women will rule business. The female management style creates more profit. A study of 353 FORTUNE 500 companies found that those with more women in senior management had a higher return on equities by more than a 3rd. They manage more cautiously, focus on the long term, are consensus builders, and employ a transformational leadership style– Shipman & Kay, ‘Womenomics’, published June 12 2009.


My friend Gina, sent this email and it goes some way to exploring the dynamic drive that is occurring.

Global Women's Enterprise Day today

Meeting some of the most amazing & enterprising women - in California!

Greetings my dear friends, from San Francisco .....

I am having the most incredible experience. I've been on the road 2 months now in West Coast USA. It's hard to explain why I am here. If you have received missives from me over the last 3+ years you will know that I have talked about being in transition - as many of you are I am sure. It's been incredibly difficult to write about and communicate with others because this is mainly an internal process of becoming - becoming WHAT I am not sure, but I am in a place of huge faith and trust. I am going where the flow is taking me.

This morning I watched a DVD of a presentation from the Institute of Noetic Sciences (based here) and they talked about being between two stories and that really describes where I am. I have totally left behind the OLD STORY: I have no business card, no specific role and that's OK. My ego sometimes cries out and I have to reassure myself that beneath the physical, beneath what I can see, know and understand, is a new story being written. But I do feel I am almost there ..... I know my adventures which are flowing so synchronistically are taking me to where and what I need to be. I meet so many others in the same space too...... it seems to be an epidemic!

Although I have found it hard to write I could not let Global Women's Enterprise Day go unmarked. Three of my five passions: GLOBAL (world citizenship & the earth), ENTERPRISE and WOMEN, all in one day (November 18th), so I had to write. We are only missing HOME & HEALTH from that list, but more of that later ....

If you are interested read on and I will pull together a quick list of some of where I have been and who I have met:

• The rise of the feminine: everywhere I have been in California I have connected with women's groups, taken part in conference calls (Women from the Edge of Evolution), and heard of/attended many women's events: eg 2 weeks ago, Maria Shriver, first lady of California hosted the Women's Conference in LA which was sold out at 13,000 participants!

• The Women's Foundation of California, (WFC) celebrated a milestone with their 30th anniversary lunch which I attended - a prestigious event with 400+ women. 30 years ago a group of women met round a kitchen table ....... see my blog for more

• While there I met actress Geena Davis, honoured at the WFC lunch as a Pioneer (see photo above should it need a caption). Never mind her ground-breaking movies Thelma & Louise (video clip) and In a League of Their Own which she said had women and girls coming up to her in the street to thank her for changing their lives. After that she knew she had to engage in some form of activism. She founded an institute on Gender in Media to reduce stereotyping of women and to get more female roles (the ratio of male to female characters is 3:1) [more on the blog]

• This somehow led me to connect with Women's Funding Network (WFN), which is one of the largest collaborative philanthropic networks in the world with more than 150 organizations that fund women's solutions across the globe. It started as an initiative of the Women's Foundation of California and its members are private and public women's foundations. Collectively, their members invest $60 million annually in women and girls worldwide, and they have raised and given away over $1 billion. (I know, it's jaw-dropping isn't it?!)

• Staying in Novato, Marin County I found I was just yards and a few days away from the annual Bioneers Conference in their 20th year so I attended [see my travel blog]. Three days with my tribe! I was so blown away; incredible speakers included Annie Leonard on her Story of Stuff (see my previous March blog) and integrated health pioneer Dr Andrew Weil. Jim Garrison from the State of the World Forum talked about Brasil 2020: Brasil is the only country in the world to agree to climate change initiatives that reduce carbon levels by 2020 and not 2050 like everyone else. (That is what is being discussed in Copenhagen in December this year Visit the website countdown.)

• Bioneers also introduced me to the work of Jensine Larsen, who at age 28 founded World Pulse magazine with an online presence that provides a voice for rural women all over the world. She pointed out that there are 3 unstoppable trends: the rise of women's leadership (over 50% of the government's cabinet in Rwanda are women); there is a communications revolution which means women in remote rural villages now have access to the world; empowering & educating women & girls is the fastest way to develop a country.

• In the Wall Street Journal, Hillary Clinton referred to world business and political leaders now saying that investing in women and girls is integral to a global economic recovery. She said: "We've seen again and again that women are entrepreneurial, accountable and practical. They invest earnings directly in family and communities and pay back loans at a higher rate than the norm. Women are a good investment".

• On a conference call with Dr Jean Houston I heard that women are now OVER 50% of the workforce in the USA: they will however, only earn 38% of what men take home in a lifetime. I made notes on Jean's pearls of wisdom with my newest toy, a Livescribe pen that records words as well as filming what it is writing and then uploads it to your computer. See my blog to read about it and to see & hear Jean's notes. (it's awesome!) She talked of women now having the initiative to take the tiller of the world and leading us all towards the new world that is emerging .... women are now recognising their strengths and stepping forward in many arenas, it's an urge felt by millions of women around the globe. It's not a movement to take over from men but to partner them more fully.

• talking about partnership, I've just studied in Seattle at the Partnership Studies Centre to be a presenter & facilitator of Caring Economics based on the work of Dr Riane Eisler and her book "The Real Wealth of Nations". Watch video. I will be writing a lot more about this brilliant material and incorporating it into my Wisdom Retreats. Riane proposes that the real wealth of nations is NOT financial: it is made up of the contributions of nature and people, energies and acts of caring that are seemingly invisible and uncounted but which underpin our whole economy and without which the world could not function.

• and finally, the Pachamama Alliance, co-founded by my favourite author & activist Lynne Twist who I met again at a Green Conference here (see my video interview with her for International Women's Day last March) .... they are holding their huge annual presentation tomorrow Thursday 19th at noon PST time (YES, I am going). It will be beamed live around the world so do join in (Facebook invite).
My goodness that's enough ... you see, once I get started I could write a book!! Which is what I'll do in the new year. In the meantime, enjoy Global Women's Enterprise Day. Keep this letter and go through the resource links when you have time. I'm hosting a circle gathering of fabulous women in San Francisco tonight and will let you know what comes from our discussions.

love & light


Gina Lazenby - keep up to date with me on twitter

Connect with me on Facebook.

PS ONE LAST THING: After years of hard work I am finally getting that I might just be able to do more by having FUN. It's an enjoyable experiment.

PPS AND ONE FINAL THING: do check out my blog woman-at-large

ginalazenby@mac.com
UK cell + 44 7802 33 11 12
USA cell +1 415 670 0384

Final word from Clive.....As I look at our website, three mature guys, starting a business, I could ask where are the ladies?! Good news, we are in discussion to add our next two affiliates/partners and they happen to be women. We aim to have 50 partners/affiliates within three years. We are also seeking candidates in the HR, Training, Corporate and Personal Development and Health arenas for the Mind Chi Mentor Program - sales skills an asset. Clive DJ See Retraining America Now's website.







No comments:

Post a Comment